Friday, November 20, 2015

The Cube Method: A Review

From September 15th, 2015 to November 13th, 2015, I conducted a cycle of The Cube Method.

The Cube Method was created by Brandon Lilly and is designed for powerlifting. With that knowledge, my goal was obviously to come out of the program stronger on my three main lifts: bench press, deadlift, and squat. Brandon Lilly created this program as a way to "return to his roots", meaning going back to the basics of lifting. With all the different programs that exist, it is easy to drown in variations of lifts and too many reps and sets; The Cube Method is basic, and wants you to pick a heavy thing up off the ground and put it back down, and ten weeks later be able to pick up a slightly heavier thing. The program is simplified, centered around the compound barbell lifts. So let's look at the pieces that made up my cycle.

The Online Calculator/Program: I used a calculator on Iron Beast to figure out my 10 week cycle, and it is the most excellent calculator I have seen so far. As usual, you input your current 1RM and it then figures out, week by week, what you need to lift to increase strength. What I makes it the best though is that it has a space for you to input the plates you have available, making it even easier to lift than ever before by telling you what plates to grab each day! No math! Yay! This calculator also allows you to select 3-5 accessory lifts and suggests choosing a Strongman lift for every training day to compliment The Cube Training and I think that is just fantastic. Personally, I came into The Cube Method after a year or so of mostly hypertrophy, so adding in the strongman lift/training was fun and new for me. It also allows you to choose between 3 and 4 training days; if you opt for 3, you will only do compound lift-focused days. If you choose 4, like I did, you have one day dedicated to your personal weaknesses.

The Layout: The layout of this program is very well thought out; every week you will bench, deadlift, and squat, but it varies as to whether those lifts will be Heavy, Explosive, or for Rep work. Example: one week you will do Heavy Squats one day, Explosive Bench another day, and Rep Bench another. Progressively your percentages increase throughout the cycle from 80% on heavy days to 95%,  70% on rep days to 85%, and 65% on explosive days to 75%. It is very doable if you put in the work. Every training day I felt like I was really pushing and getting stronger. Not everyday was perfect, but every week I noticed one of my lifts getting stronger. It is tough to see improved strength on three different compound lifts all in one week, but in the cycle overall I definitely saw strength increases.

My Results: Because I am equal parts impatient and uneducated as a lifter stiller, I PR-ed a week early. I had a rough deadlift PR day and did not increase my 1RM but DID increase a few rep maxes which was awesome. Same for my bench, I didn't increase my 1RM (out of fear of crushing myself without a spotter), but my rep maxes did increase, and my form also got a lot better. My bench 1RM increased by 5 pounds and I felt really strong with that rep, and probably could have gone higher. 

How It Compares: I have done Smolov Jr, MADCOW, and 5/3/1, as far as other training programs go. In comparison, this program is an intermediate level program, much like 5/3/1. The other two programs are great, but the volume within them is that you see in a more beginner strength program. If you've done 5/3/1, maybe try out Cube.  No dings on 5/3/1 though, that program stands its ground, I just prefer Cube (currently).

The Cube Method is a great training program, so great in fact that I am doing another cycle, this time so I can PR on the right week :). I have already noticed that the lifts for the first week are easier and I feel stronger than when I did it the first time. I am excited to see where I am at in 10 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment