Sunday, March 13, 2016

Letting Injuries Heal

I squatted heavy. I hurt my back. I have no idea what exactly happened. I squatted a set of 5 at 81% of my max, and when I was done, I was DONE. Didn't even complete the workout. The following day, I could hardly get in and out of the car.

This was two weeks ago. What have I done in that time to help my body heal, and what could I do better? Let's take a look!

1. Stop doing the shit that agitates the injury (aka rest yo'self). If you lift, you are probably a little bit of a stubborn knucklehead. It comes with the territory of knowing what success in strength feels like. No one wants to stop training at the fear of not only not progressing, but *gasp* losing strength. However, losing strength and having a minor set back is the favorable alternative compared to having a lot of setbacks because you never let yourself heal. So yeah, I haven't squatted, deadlifted, or done anything that requires a heavy load on my lower back...or anything that forcefully or quickly stretches my lower spine. It sucks, I feel like a weakling, but I know the trade off. My strength will come back, eventually. Moral: if it hurts, don't fucking do it.

2. Foam rolling, or myofascaial release. Foam rolling is a gift from the universe. It is used to correct existing muscle imbalances, reduce trigger points (knots), and inhibit overactive musculature. Can be done before and after training. This kind of stretching that provides compression therapy to muscles gives immediate pain relief and suppression of knot sensitivity. Multiple studies have shown that a regimen that includes foam rolling is effective in reducing pain intensity with neck and upper back pain, in particular. How? Gentle force to a knot/trigger point alters elastic muscle fibers from a bundled position to a straighter alignment. It also stimulates the muscle fibers to inhibit spindle excitation and release tensions. SCIENCE. So yes, I've been foam rolling, in hopes of reaching some release in he muscles around my lower back. I should be doing more of it.

3. Alter your training plan instead of quitting. I've been maintaining upper body hypertrophy days, as well as adding in body weight/calisthenics and...running. I don't want my system to tighten up from lack of movement while I'm healing, so I am continuing to work within my limits! However, on the days when I wake up and my back says LOL NOPE, I take an extra rest day. It is asinine to train when an injury hurts, and makes you a shitty athlete. it's not all about the working out, it's about doing it well and the overall care of your body.

4. Keep eating. Keep drinking water. Do I have to explain this?

Short and sweet blog for this. Listen to your body, keep up the mobility.

No comments:

Post a Comment